Monday, March 26, 2007

Off to Italy we go!

We are leaving for Italy tomorrow for one week. Jeff has been busy packing like a madman and Mia can't stop talking about all the pizza she is going to eat. I have been so busy at work, that I just keep stressing about all the days of work I am going to miss. We are very excited, however. We have managed to make this a backpacks only trip--which means we are carrying everything we are taking on our backs! It feels so nice not to have to think about checking luggage and pulling bags up and down stairs. We are spending two days in Venice, two days in Siena (Tuscany), and two days in Rome. The weather is supposed to be warm, but it looks like we might encounter some rain along the way. Oh well. Hopefully it will stay somewhat nice for us.

Today I went on a day trip with my colleagues for a work retreat. We went hiking across the downs. It was so amazing. We were literally hiking through sheep fields and forests. We had to climb over fences and wade through mud. It was pretty rough going, but so gorgeous and peaceful. The British countryside is truly amazing. We then had lunch a wonderful country pub. The day was so warm and sunny that we were able to eat outside overlooking the beautiful rolling hills. After lunch we walked to the local horse track and watched the races. I was expecting all sorts of royalty with big hats and small binoculars, but apparently royalty does not attend races at such small tracks--bummer. Anyway, it was just a great day. I have been travelling a lot for work recently and it is nice to finally see some more of Britain. Last week I went to the Isle of Wight with 115 international students, and last week I went to Birmingham for a conference. I am supposed to go to Manchester in a few months as well. I plan to take my students on a bunch of trips next year, so I'm hoping to see some of northern England and Scotland as well!!

Anyway, off to bed. We have to be on the train by 545 am in order to make our plane on time. I have no idea how we are going to get Mia out of bed at that time. She will be one unhappy camper. Maybe the promise of pizza will keep her in good spirits. We'll post pictures when we get back.

No comments: