Monday, October 30, 2006

Life in the darkness

Okay, it has been a bit since I have last written. What has happened in that time, you ask? Good Question. Lots. For starters, day-light savings time has happened. I know you are all aware of this; however what that means is that I now have to have external power sources to garden after work. Now, Brighton was not fond of the idea of me putting in sky lights, similar to those at the local football field. Plan B, then. I then thought I would go old school and use gas lanterns. Well, that did not prove to be fruitful as I seemed to have the habit of knocking them over and causing small forest fires. Plan C it has to be... wait to the weekend and do some super gardening.


The result of this plan, as you can see is that I have covered up my crops with fleece and things are actually growing. I have actually covered more then this up. I now have three beds covered in fleece. I can't believe it. My peas and potatoes are looking as if they are actually part of a garden. Pretty cool and exciting, I have to say.

The down side is in addition to slugs, I now have cats. This normally would not be a problem, but they seem to like to defecate in the beds... sort of a smelly, gross morning present. And what started out as a problem with two cats has now grown into four cats. Anyway, I will find a way to conquer. It would be nice if the slugs and the cats just hashed it out. Maybe a turf war. I can see it now... like a scene out of Lord of the Rings. Perhaps not.

What else is new? Mia went to a birthday party and got her face painted for the first time. She was so excited. We can't believe how happy she was.





We also went to a local farm to celebrate apple day. I would have normally thought that everyday was a day to celebrate apple day, but that's just me. So, we celebrated in the traditional way... spending money and going on rides while playing at a farm. It really was fun. Mia had a great time and Andrea got to feed calfs.




No comments: