- We decided to move back to America from England
- We moved back to America from England
- We sought jobs in our respective fields
- We got jobs in our respective fields
- We moved into a house in a desired location
- We promised that we would not make any big decisions for a while and just try to live a calm and 'normal' life.
- Oh yeah...and we have decided to adopt a little girl from Ehtiopia
Ok, so maybe this seems a little out of the blue to some of you, but that's the truth--we have decided to adopt. So, here is the first entry of the next stage in our life. Once again we are going to document our trials, tribulations, ups and downs... or at least we will attempt to document this amazing experience. I imagine like last time will loose some steam on the blog entries every once in a while, but we will do our best to keep it going.
I am not sure how exactly we came to this decision, but I remember the day. I had taken Mia to Sunday school and noticed all the children running around. Normally this would not be encouraged... reverence for the holy and all. But this particular day was for children. I noticed that there were many children from Ethiopia... again something one might not see at many synagogues, but that is what makes our synagogue so special. And that was it. That was the moment. I thought why not. Really, I have always wanted more children. Mia wants a sister. And the one she says she has is in Africa. It seemed like a natural choice. I had not always supported adoption for many reasons, but I was a changed man. Don't' worry... I am still the stubborn, crotchety, cranky, but really good-looking youngish man that I have always been; however I had changed on the inside. Yes, I have more feeling and care then I used to.
I went home, told Andrea, and as things go in our life, that was all that was needed. We had already booked our tickets to Ethiopia and picked out a new bedroom set for yet unknown child.
Seriously though, Andrea, has always wanted to adopt. As most of you know, she is much nicer than me and had always felt that adoption was a wonderful thing. So, needless to say, she was more then happy, but cautious.
As the days passed, all two or three of them, we talked ad nauseam about my change of heart, our ability to actually do this, and the reality of what it meant for our family. To be serious for a moment, if you will allow me that, we have taken this very, very seriously and speak about this at length. I had never realized how many different opinions there can be on this subject. Adopting a child just has all these layers of issues and emotions. Everyday feels a bit like an emotional roller coaster as we realize all that this decision means for our life and the life of this unknown child.
Needless to say there are volumes of books written on the subject and I have started to buy them...all of them. This is always a sign. Whenever I want to do something, I buy a book. I figure if I own a book, then I am on my way.
So, here we are on Christmas Eve and we are starting our journey together. We will also keep everyone updated on our progress. We estimate that we will have adopted a child by the end of 2008.
Progress to date:
Attended information session
Started to fill out application which involves fingerprints, reference letters from our dearest and most wonderful friends (and we mean this with all our heart, in case they are reading this) and examination of just about every other part of our life.
In the meantime, here are some pictures of our life since we have been back.
No comments:
Post a Comment