Friday, September 15, 2006

The Royal Courts of Justice and Bridget Jones

Today I was in the exact same place as Bridget Jones. I know, you are probably saying to yourself 'no way Jeff was in the same place as Bridget Jones'. But yes, my dear friends and family, I was. I really was. I went to the Royal Courts of Justice today for one of my cases. In case you do not know, The Royal Courts of Justice is the high court, the place were the judges are called Lords, and the place where they still wear wigs and the place where Bridget Jones goes to interview Collin Firth about a case he happens to be trying and instead she decides to go and buy a pack of smokes.

Now, I know you are saying 'that is impressive, please don't stop... tell me more'.

Well, it really is quite a building. It is large, formal and totally above my class. This is a place that my solicitor (lawyer) is represented by a barrister (a higher ranking solicitor). So imagine if you will in the front row of the court is the barrister, sitting in the next row is the solicitor, and then in the next rows are the common working stiffs (me). Now, the way it works is that the judge, His Lordship, speaks to the barrister. If the judge wants an answer from the barrister and it cannot be given, then the barrister speaks to the solicitor and if the solicitor cannot answer the question then the client, me, is asked. Phew! So convoluted and long. I would have thought that the best way to get an answer is to just ask the person who will know... but I guess I don't wear a wig and therefor may not know of what I speak.

At any rate, it really is quite neat and I imagine that I will be there again. Oh yeah, one more thing about the court. As one enters the court room, one has to bow. Yes, bow. Now, I am not normally in a place that I feel that I should bow. So as I watch my peers and comrades bow I ask myself 'what are they doing?' Apparently they bow to show respect to the Queen, but I did not see her there. Oh well, maybe next time!

No comments: