Anyway, on to the childcare part of my life. My mother has taken to calling me Mr. Mom. I started to think about this and this is what I think: he had more square feet in his house. I'm not complaining, but really we have 834 square feet for four people. Now some people won't count Jonah as a fourth person, but he actually has bigger stuff then the rest of us do. He has an exerciser that is just big and round and not foldable. He has a little swing that also is not foldable. And even if they were foldable, he has no flippin' closet. Don't even get me started on my room. Andrea actually says it's his room because we're moving upstairs. However, it is my room and that is my bed and my closet. And in the immortal words of Joey Tribiani, Jeff doesn't share his room. The reality of the situation is that my bed is now pressed against the wall so I have to climb in from the foot. Jonah's crib is sandwiched between the other side of the bed and the wall, so Andrea has to climb in from the foot. Of course I would be remiss if I didn't mention his changing table which is covering half of the door of the closet. Like I said, his stuff is bigger then ours, so he counts.
On a different note, today was a good day. Well, actually it was tolerable. I enjoyed being with both children today. Mia's playdate didn't happen until 2.00, so I had to figure out what to do with both kids. I was seriously confused on how to manage the play time of a 3 month old and a 6 year old. From my education, which was supposed to allow me to be an expert (yeah right) on development and life stages, I was able to draw on a tool that would help with these things. I wrote down all the things Jonah likes to do and all the things Mia likes to do. Here's the list:
Mia: Not play with her brother, not talk about her brother, not helping with caring for her brother, covering her ears when he screams, and wondering if it's time to watch a movie. In addition to these things she has, at times, talked about playing school, playing with her brother's things in ways which his toys weren't meant to be used (read: sitting her 6 year old butt in his baby seat), play at the park and climb on things, get carried around, watch movies and tv, throw herself around the couch while saying 'I'm bored.'
Jonah: be carried around, be fed, pooh, watch his sister, did I mention be carried. He also has at times appeared to like walks, sleeping, and laughing.
So, what are the results? It looks like the best I'm going to be able to do is carry both kids around for if I don't I'm guessing that one or both will scream and yell and tell me they're bored. My only salvation is that tonight I get to sit down, think about how much my I know my children love me without actually saying this, spend some time with my wife, and watch Californication while sowing a stuffed animal for Mia (all this is read: generation 2.0 man - bigger, better, more willing to cry at the end of Titanic). I have to say that this is a great show, not because there's sex in every scene, although there is, but because it is a really good show about a guy who lost everything and is trying to make things right. I've never been a big fan of David Duchoveny, but I've got to say that he plays this part spot on.
So, here are some pics of the kids.
Really dad, I don't need the strap!
Can you believe how long her hair is?
I love this look. Sort of 'how you doooin' (again in a Joey Tribiani voice).
3 comments:
Californication? Since when are you watching this show??? How did I get left out of the loop on this one?
test
I love all your Friends references. It warms my heart.
And in the pictures in this post, I think Mia is starting to look like the youngest daughter on Growing Pains. (She was also in What Women Want.... but she looks like the younger version of her. At least in these pictures.)
Post a Comment