Reside : to dwell permanently or continuously.
We have resided ourselves to the fact that the baby is late. However, not just late, but never coming. Let me explain why this might be easy for us to think. In order for me to leave at the end of the day I must do the following: write complete notes on each of the patients I see, not just in the chart, but also for the person covering me, otherwise known as redundancy; write emails to everyone who will be affected by my absence in order to let them know the things that have to be covered; and clean my desk (for most people this is not an issue, but I can't say the same thing). These things are only the physical things that I must do; they do not include the mental preparation of being gone - for which I am TOTALLY ready. Of course, I can't even imagine what Andrea goes through.
So you see it is easier to just permanently dwell in the place of acceptance that baby is taking his sweet time at coming out. This does, though, end up causing me to be a bit of a cynic. I mean, last night when Andrea came home after seeing her chiropractor, who by the way, told her she was going to do acupressure to stimulate labor (read: push parts of Andrea's body and tell her this will help when in fact it did nothing), and told me that she was feeling like tonight was the night because of these feelings she was having, I responded cynically. I said 'what baby? Are we having one?' I mean, I wasn't totally dismissive, I did finally acknowledge that there may, just perhaps, be a baby in my future, but it was not clear that was a given.
Of course I'm just kidding. I know that we will have a baby in the next 2 or 3 years. But I was hoping that it would happen around our due date. And let me just say a word about that - due date. If it's a due date, then how are we without a baby? Really, when the IRS gives me a due date, I am required to pay or incur the wrath of little, humorless people who come knocking on my door demanding money. What are we to do... knock on Andrea's stomach and demand to have his presence? Actually, that's not a bad idea. I can just see it now... knock, knock it's time to come out and play...
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
How do you know that there's a baby? Maybe Andrea has just been getting fat for the last several months and has create this elaborate prank so that she did not have to admit the truth and now she doesn't know how to admit everything. It's worth looking into.
Post a Comment