Tuesday, April 28, 2009

One week

Tonight is the eve of the Bris. On day eight, in the Jewish tradition, a little boy's penis is circumcised and the whole family is there to watch the trauma. No worries, though, alcohol, nerve blocks, and anesthesia are given, and that's just for his parents. Actually, this can be a very difficult thing to watch for parents. On the one hand is the tradition that has been passed down for thousands of years, but on the other hand is the fact that our son is going to be cut in front of our eyes. Of course I don't remember my bris, but I can now relive it in full, technicolor detail.

Everything else is going fine: Jonah is sleeping nicely, Andrea is recovering, but still anemic, I'm fully rested and experiencing no difficulty in life at all. The reality is that I sleep better then I ever have now that I have moved out and into a hotel until he is 2, which is when Mia started to sleep through the night.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I was TRAUMATIZED by Caleb's circumcision when I saw it. Granted, there are different methods, but whatever they did absolutely made me want to vomit. This time we are actually going to have a rabbi circumcise Levi because that's who our birthing center recommended. We're told that he does NOT use anesthesia but that it literally only takes 7 seconds (which kind of boggles my mind). I suppose I can live through 7 seconds. Hopefully all goes well for you guys. Are you actually having the traditional festivities that accompany it?

gentic said...

Watch this first:

Cut: Slicing Through the Myths of Circumcision (Abridged)by an Orthodox Jew